1) What is the working title of your next book?

Lurker, a novella. It was originally called The Undermined, but the publisher didn't find that horror-y enough. I agreed, and so we changed it. We're flexible that way.

2) Where did the idea come from for the book?

A walk north of my native town of Whitby, where the landscape is scarred and beautiful and harbours innumerable imaginary denizens, some of which demonic.

3) What genre does your book fall under?

Cosmic suggestive creature feature horror. I'm waiting for when the bookstores have a shelf just for that.

4) What actors would you choose to play the part of your characters in a movie rendition?

The central character is a middle-aged woman who's suffered a tragic experience. So maybe somebody middle-aged who can do tragic . . . Sorry, don't know many actresses. Not Brenda Blethyn, tho. Nothing's ever *that* sad.

5) What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?

While walking along the north east English coastline, Meg chances upon 18th century mines . . . and something rather less benign.

6) Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?

It will be published by DarkFuse in the US - my first US deal. The home of Barack Obama. Magnifico!

7) How long did it take you to write the first draft of the manuscript?

4 days.

8) What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?

Lovecraft's stuff - The Dunwich Horror, The Haunter of the Dark, and a few others. Artfully crafted monsters.

9) Who or what inspired you to write this book?

My love of cosmic creatures; my reluctance to go out walking but always enjoying it when I do; I desire to evoke awe in fiction.

10) What else about the book might pique the reader's interest?

It's one of many novellas I've written set on the north east coast, all of which feel combined to me. My first, World Wide Web (2007), and the second, The Respectable Face of Tyranny (2012) mined similar territory, and future work will do the same (another currently out on submission). I want to terrorize my native milieu the same way Lovecraft terrorized his. This is just the start.

Tags:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE LONELY LANDS by Ramsey Campbell -- review and interview with the author

FEARFUL IMPLICATIONS b y Ramsey Campbell -- a review

What I read in 2023 -- a review